Thursday, November 13, 2008

OFD Cash Raffle 2008! That's a wrap!

So glad that we can put a close to this year's Firemen's Cash Raffle here in Smalliver. It was a lot of fun but so much work over the past month. Last year I was pregnant with Jackson and got a 'pass' on all the organizing and such. But this year, since I was home on maternity leave, it was easier for me to get some of the daytime tasks done. I didn't mind at all as it kept me busy and got my brain back in gear before I start back at work. Only 19 more days until I'm back! Yikes! (But that's a whole other posting in the making.)
This years' theme of Hollywood/The Oscars was very classy and elegant. Red carpet, velvet ropes, photographer for keepsake pictures, lots of glitz and glam. It was really fun to be creative and get into the event planning mode. You may not know this about me but I did my Business Admin practicum with an event planner in K-Town during the Fall wine festivals and I used to work for a sports and entertainment event planning company who organized the hydroplane raced in Canada. That's where/how Scott & I met. (Again, another story for another time, or ask me sometime & I will spill all the details.) Yes, I had a life before having Jackson. Sometimes it's hard to imagine all the things I did way back then, but great to look forward to what's in store next.

I digress... Back to the Cash Raffle. So much fun and yet again, the guys put together another hilarious skit! Lots of tongue in cheek humour that will almost get them into trouble as those boys like to push the envelope. And again, my every talented hubby was there to spear head the direction of the skit and keep them on track and focussed. Yes, Scott was a drama geek in high school (and we are both thankful we didn't go to the same HS as I don't think we would be together, who am I kidding, I know for a fact we most definitely wouldn't) and secretly loves acting and directing, though you would never know it to see him. He may complain about it but he loves every minute of the drama that is created every year.
We didn't win the $10,000 cash but it was the first year we bought a ticket so we won't be greedy, next year will be just fine. And we are so glad that Scott's parents, Alf & Jill were able to come to the raffle on our ticket, as we have admission 'cuz we have to work it! And Jackson had a great sleepover with Becky and Meghan. Not even one and already having sleepovers with girls! Thanks girls for all your care and attention to our little guy. And to Jill & Alf for all the extra babysitting on the days leading to the event and the days after for all the clean up. We are just so glad that another year is done. Of course, they are already working on next year's theme....Oh those boys, don't they ever stop and rest!

PS And without the amazing work of the fire wives it just wouldn't happen each year! A special big 'Way to Go!' to the Decorating/Dessert girls...you know who you are and you rock!
PSS Thanks for lending me your great dress l'il sis! It was just perfect for the event!


1 comment:

Sheri said...

congratulations --- must feel good to wrap that up. yes, scott was a drama geek. i still remember when he was in Camelot and Auntie D and mom starting giggling in the audience (than sue and I started giggling). it was funny at the time.

nice photo of the 4 of you.