Friday, November 7, 2008

Soapy Inspiration

Have you noticed how small the liquid laundry detergent bottles have been getting lately? I know that they claim they are ultra concentrated and you need to use less than the regular liquid detergent, "same number of loads, half the size". But how much were you using in the first place? Especially when the detergent measuring cup is the same size as the one that came with the old large bottles. But what can you do when you need soap to wash your clothes and this is the only product out there....or is it?



While watching this show on TLC about a family who really has to watch their pennies especially when doing laundry for 19 people (yikes! I cringe when it's only the three of us), they had an episode of some hints and tips of how they do it! And lo and behold, there was a laundry solution. They make their own liquid detergent. Cool! I didn't even know this was possible!
So off to the internet to find the recipe. Not too difficult and the ingredients are easy to find. Let's give it a whirl!




Wow! It made a 5 gallon bucket of concentrate for about $4. So now I'm going to fill up the empty laundry soap containers we have and see how it cleans. Can't wait to start watching my pennies grow...if they can do it so can I. Thanks Duggar family! And just think of all the plastic we will be saving from the being produced and having to be recycled! So does anyone want some liquid detergent??? We have a little to spare if you want to try it before making your very own!

5 comments:

Surprised Suburban Wife said...

What a great idea! We also noticed the increasingly smaller detergents at costco and just accepted it. If only we lived just a bit closer to Oliver I'd definitely split that $4.50 drum of detergent :)

Kari --- said...

I did this for several years before we got our new high efficiency washer and dryer. It worked okay when we lived in New Brunswick, but when we moved to Alberta, it stopped working as well? I think it may have had something to do with the water being harder or something. I'm curious to see if it works well in the Okanagan. Make sure you post and let us know!
(and I, too, watch that show :)

Banana_Grl said...

I use the same stuff except I leave mine in powder form, add baking soda and used sunlight bars instead. Works like a charm and my laundry smells so yummy :)

I also make my own fabric softener using white vinegar mixed with some drops of my fave smelling essential oil.

monkey chick said...

Ooh awesome...gonna have to try that out. Laundry detergent doesn't seem to last long around here, lol.

Sheri said...

neat idea, Joanne.
i agree about the small bottles....but I must say they are a lot easier to heft around.