Thursday, October 10, 2013

Sew now I do this...

It's not like I have a lot of spare time with the new babe, Ryder. Or even that I am bored, nope got lots on my plate thanks! But I seem to love adding just one more ball to the juggling mass I have suspended above my head.

I started making these reusable snack/sandwich bags last year when Jackson started kindergarten. I couldn't justify buying plastic bags to put in his lunch just so he could throw them out and do it all over again the next day. We are trying to teach our kids to be responsible citizens of this earth and take some ownership in keeping it clean and keeping it green. Every little bit counts so we try where we can. Ok, Eco-speech done for today. 

I love that they are made of a sturdy PUL that comes in super cute patterns and colours. My clean up is so easy; wipe it out for simple crumbs or give it a more thorough clean in the dishwasher flipped inside out in the top rack hung on the glass rungs or in the washing machine ( but Velcro tends to stick to other washing). Then I just hang it up for a quick air dry for lunch making in the morning.
I have also started using the snack bags as soother holders. Keeps the fuzzies and ickies off when in the diaper bag/purse etc. Love finding new uses all the time!

After a few moms saw my bags they wanted to get on the green less wasteful bandwagon. I do not claim to be a master seamstress at all, total beginner would best describe me. But when I set my mind to something, I try try try until I get it. So here I am with a new bambino and I think to myself, I should motivate myself, give myself a challenge, get out a little more... So I signed up for a table at a Smalliver craft fair at the end of the month. Just a little one, no huge Christmas market, it's just me and my little bags. And I have invited a friend, Rose, who is a super sewer, to share my table with her beautiful aprons. She is just too talented with the fabrics.

So if you're looking to get a little greener or just think my little bags are cute, thanks by the way I do too, let me know if you want to order a set or two for yourself or loved ones. Leave me a comment sew we can make it happen. 

Already have orders pending for Christmas presents for a whole family. And I am hoping to make superhero themed ones for Jman's birthday goodie bags. Oh, the ideas are endless...

No comments: