Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Busy but Manageable Week with a Little Help from Family and Friends



Since Scott has been away this week, I have been very busy with summer activities. And without the help of friends and family I don't think I could have survived this week with Jackson alone. I don't know how single parents with no family support do it. They must be super moms and dads!

When I knew that Scott would not be there to help out every day at Jackson's swim lessons over the past two weeks, I admit that I was a little panicked! I thought, 'How am I supposed to dry and change a little person who can barely crawl in a public change room. And where do I put Jackson when it comes time for me to strip down, dry up and clothe myself.' I also volunteered to run the crafts sessions of the local vacation bible school in the afternoon this week. How am I going to fit in Jackson's mid-morning nap and feeding all before I need to get to the church to teach a craft to 40+ kids from ages 3-14. These are the silly 'woe-is-me' things that cross the mind of this first time mom who is not so great at facing the unexpected. But I am slowly learning to just let things happen and manage as it comes at me. Life is not predictable and as the saying goes 'the best laid plans of mice and men often go awry'.

It is a lesson that has been hard to embrace but feels so good once followed through. Let go and let God! And it will work out even better than you ever imagined.

And I have learned that I can't do everything myself and I need to accept help from others. And when I accept this help, I learn more about the people who are helping me. So I just want to send out a huge thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who have helped me manage without my hubby this past week. I am very appreciative of you all. Be it with organizing my craft supplies and prep for VBS, holding onto Jackson as I quickly dress after swim practice, play with and feed my little man as I help other little ones create a craft to learn about our Forever Friend, Jesus, as well as a multitude of other helpful things that enabled me have a smooth sailing week.


A special little thank you to cousin Travis for being such a great entertainer and playmate of Jackson this week when he spent the afternoons at Grandma Schaffrick's . Jackson just loves his cousin Travis!

3 comments:

Surprised Suburban Wife said...

It can be so so hard to be a single mom when Dad's out of town! I have a whole new respect for women who do it on their own ALL THE TIME. Yikes. Glad you made it through everything ok though!

sparadis said...

It is amazing how GOD works in the lives of his precious children whatever age they are.

Sheri said...

HI Joanne,

Swimming lessons can be tricky, can't they?!

I'm glad it all worked out for you.

Sheri